Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you on 9/11?

I heard a radio commercial the other day that struck me....it started out with lots of different people saying, "I was driving to work", "I was on my way to school", "I was making breakfast", "I was at the drugstore"......and the list went on. I knew immediately what they were talking about. Where they were when 9-11 happened. I remember exactly where I was too...I don't think I'll ever forget. My daughter was 5 months old and the day before her and I had flown down to visit my sister who had a 3 month old baby boy. We of course had stayed up late talking and feeding the babies, etc. So we were sleeping in. My brother-in-law came and woke us up and said, "look what happened....." We jumped out of bed and as I sat there watching the news, I couldn't believe it. I remember wondering to myself if it was a joke or if I what I was really watching on TV happened. In fact, I'm embarrased to say that it didn't really hit me until later that day. Then I suddenly remember that my mom and stepdad were supposed to arrive in Newark that morning. There was rumor by that time that another plane had been hit and crashed. That sent my sister and I into a panic and we called their cellphone. They quickly returned the call and said they were ok..... You can see what used to be the towers from the Newark airport. My mom has pictures of them and billows of smoke afterward. They are from far away but strike you nonetheless.
I look back now and I can still see the 2nd tower falling as we all watched it happen live. And again...I'm embarrased to say that not even that hit me until later. It was just soo hard to believe........and yet here we are five years later. And yes, several times today I thought of all the families and people involved and I hope they know that they are remembered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home